Another interpretation of the words of Liberal MP Jim Karygiannis

Liberal MP Jim Karygiannis is in hot water. He is being accused of making a racist slur against the former Conservative candidate in his riding, Harry Tsai. Mr. Tsai is president of the Taiwanese Canadian Association of Toronto, an organization that recently called for Mr. Karygiannis to be fired as multiculturalism critic.



Mr. Karygiannis’ response was to call Mr. Tsai and according to Mr. Tsai this is what he said:



“I don’t think he was very pleased,” Tsai said. “(Karygiannis) said, ‘ I don’t care what you guys write. It won’t affect me. And I’m glad you can write.’ He kept saying, ‘I’m glad you can write English,’” Tsai said.




Mr. Karygiannis denies having said this, but it seems like an odd thing for Mr. Tsai to make up so I am leaning towards it being true (or at least he said something close to that).



Now on the face of it this is clearly a racist slur, but I can provide a bit of context that allows for a different interpretation.



During the 2011 federal election I was living in the riding that these two men were contesting. I thus had the misfortune of becoming familiar with the campaign literature that Mr. Tsai released to the public.



It was awful, just plain awful.



It was like the pamphlets were written by someone who didn’t know what the red and green lines in a word document meant. Or maybe they thought it meant that the word was correct and so made sure that every word in the document had a line. Either way, if I was the absolute dictator of Canada I would force whoever wrote such crap to return to elementary school to review the basics. I wish I had kept one of the pamphlets so I could show you how absolutely truly bad the grammar and spelling was.



I am no perfectionist (as my long time readers know) but these pamphlets were all but unreadable.



In that context is looks like really Mr. Karygiannis was making fun of Mr. Tsai for his inexplicable inability to find a 6 year old to proof read his campaign literature during the election.



Or he could be a racist. I don’t really know, just throwing the idea out there.



(He is undoubtably an ass)