Ontario NDP using Jack Layton's name

Yesterday the local NDP candidate was canvassing my building. I didn’t get a chance to talk to him because my life partner was the one that answered the door and she gave him a curt no thanks. I thought this was unfortunate because I dearly wanted to ask him about something on his biographical blurb (what the hell is a Ph.D in corporate responsibility and economics?). I did however get my hand on his pamphlet (by stealing it from a neighbour) and I noted a reference to Jack Layton.

It was pretty blatant. The reference was a quote from Jack Layton’s death bed press release and that odd outline shape of Mr. Layton that has become popular among certain union activists. There was no claim that Mr. Layton endorsed the candidate, but it did serve as a reminder of the emotions that many felt after they heard of the federal leader’s death. It was obvious that the designer of the pamphlet thought that this would help the candidate’s chances.

I’m not surprised that the Ontario NDP is trying to use the death of Jack Layton for electoral gain. I was, however, disgusted that they would be so overt about it. It seemed indecent and made me wish more that I could have talked to the candidate to ask him why he felt it was appropriate.

In a move that is even more inappropriate, some NDP candidates have been using Jack Layton’s name in automatic phone calls. The scripts of the calls basically suggest that people should vote for the provincial NDP’s in memory of Mr. Layton.

I was happy to read today that the NDP leader Andrea Horwath has told the local candidates to stop this nonsense. She has gained some respect in my eyes.